Program: MA Clinical Psychology (MACP)
Classification: Staff, Full-time
Reports to: MACP Chair
Location: Hybrid (remote and Antioch University Santa Barbara campus)
The Senior Academic Advisor serves as an experienced academic and clinical training advisor for students in the MA Clinical Psychology Program. The Senior Academic Advisor facilitates student success by defining and implementing proactive strategies that help students stay on track to fulfill their educational goals. Senior advisors build supportive and personalized relationships with students and provide them with opportunities to stay connected to our educational community. They advise students on institutional policies and procedures, program and degree requirements, and related academic matters, and work closely with other institutional support teams to ensure that student inquiries are addressed in a timely and effective manner. The Senior Academic Advisor assesses student needs in order to make referrals to the appropriate program faculty, Antioch University office, off-campus training sites, or community services. A strong understanding of the program courses and requirements is essential, and a high degree of confidentiality must be maintained on issues related to students, including personal issues, status, performance, grievances and other program concerns.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Student Advising & Support
- Connect with new students upon acceptance of admission to ensure overall readiness and escalate outstanding matters that would affect their ability to have a smooth and successful start
- Advise students on institutional policies and procedures, program requirements, clinical training requirements, and related academic matters, including grievance procedures
- Assist faculty as needed on any issues regarding student advisement
- Collaborate with institutional staff to ensure that student inquiries are strategically coordinated and addressed in a timely manner, leading to an inspiring student experience while supporting academic integrity and institutional policies
- Guide students to develop accountability for their decisions and an understanding of how those decisions impact their success
- Empower students to maintain effective connections to the institution and its community of learners
- Advise students on alternative schedule(s) to provide support and ensure students are progressing within stated timeframes
- Act as an advocate in handling student requests and complaints
- Meet with students as requested and/or needed
- Create and maintain spreadsheets to track courses and academic progress
- Plan out Plan of Study (quarterly class schedules through two years out)
- Maintain electronic student files and schedules
- Manage registration activities, petition applications, transfer of courses, and traineeship paperwork in collaboration with other personnel
- Create and maintain spreadsheets to track off-cohort students, advise as needed, and provide schedules
- Assists in data collection for the purpose of assessing program outcome
Clinical Training Support
- Maintain accurate and detailed knowledge of California Marriage and Family Therapy licensure requirements and a working knowledge of out-of-state licensing requirements for the purpose of advising and working closely with the Director of Clinical Training to support student Clinical Training requirements
- Assist with the student conferral process
- Assist with student requests and needs within their clinical training processes
- Collaborate with faculty when clinical suitability concerns arise
Recruitment & Retention Support
- Engage in outreach efforts on behalf of the MACP program
- Recruitment-related duties such as speaking at college fairs
- Conduct periodic information meetings to describe graduate programs
- Participate in student interviews, reviewing student transcripts
- Maintain detailed knowledge of the MACP degree program and concentrations,including requirements, curriculum, policies, and procedures and being able to communicate these clearly to prospective and active students
- Respond to prospective student emails and phone calls
- Provide comprehensive outreach to students who are at risk of not meeting satisfactory academic progress, including follow-up to those with SAP and/or financial aid warnings
- Closely monitor students to proactively identify at-risk scenarios and identify opportunities to develop, implement, measure, and improve student success strategies
- Monitor student progress toward meeting graduation requirements with special attention to the retention of at-risk students
- Assist with the delivery of on-campus events as assigned, including co-hosting graduate preparation meetings
The essential functions represent the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without a reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
About Antioch University
Antioch University provides learner-centered education to empower students with the knowledge and skills to lead meaningful lives and to advance social, racial, economic, and environmental justice.
Antioch aspires to be a leading university offering learners and communities transformative education in a global context that fosters innovation and inspires social action.
In radical recognition of our mission and purpose, we pledge to actively engage in ongoing development as a wholly inclusive community. To this end we will consistently, deliberately and systematically strive to be appropriately responsive to the myriad dimensions of human diversity, such that none are marginalized and all experience justice and empowerment. Moving beyond tolerance toward inclusion and the celebration of our differences, we will courageously embrace any resulting challenges as they arise, recognizing that the responsibility for this rests with each and every member of the community. We assert that we will move expeditiously toward our goals through an ongoing commitment to courageous self‐examination and respectful and honest interactions, which will lead us to the creation of formal and informal structures, policies, programs, and services that will give life to these ideals on our campuses and as we touch the world around us.
Jobs at Antioch University.
When inquiring or applying for job openings at Antioch University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities with Antioch University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Antioch University are posted, please sign up for new job openings at Antioch University.