Adler University is a highly recognized teaching institution that was established in Vancouver in the 1970s and utilizes the Adlerian theory of community psychology to graduate socially responsible practitioners. We are looking for 2 dynamic full-time Core Faculty members to join our Master of Arts in Counselling Psychology and Master of Counselling Psychology Programs.
Core Faculty provides instruction for courses in the two counseling psychology programs (i.e., Master of Arts in Counselling Psychology and Master of Counselling Psychology), supporting student learning and outcome measurements, supervising student thesis projects, engaging in committee work, providing clinical supervision to students on practicum, participating in program development, and student academic advising.
The position entails attendance at monthly Faculty Council and weekly Program meetings on campus. The faculty position reports to the Program Director of the aforementioned programs. As a teaching university and a counseling program that follows the scholar-practitioner-advocate model, faculty contracts are designed around a 4-day week. Faculty are encouraged to have a private practice separate from their work at Adler University. The start date for this position is May or September 2023.
- A doctoral-level degree in Counselling Psychology or Counsellor Education from a recognized program accredited by CCPA, CPA, APA, or equivalent. (We are accepting ONLY counseling doctoral degrees at this time.)
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressive counseling, and supervising experience.
- Strong record of teaching experience
- Professional registration as a Clinical Counsellor or Psychotherapist (eg with the British Columbia Association of Clinical Counsellors, Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association), or Psychologist Registration (or registration eligibility) with the College of Psychologists of British Columbia, is a requirement.
- Candidates who are not already Registered Psychologists may be required to pass a pre-employment background check.
- A strong passion for and a strong record of teaching, clinical work, and thesis supervision experience at the graduate level.
- A strong record of participation in training activities, including the provision of clinical supervision to trainees.
- Knowledge of several theoretical orientations in order to supervise students during their clinical practicum.
- A record of scholarship related to Counselling Psychology or Counsellor Education.
- Commitment to training counselors to work with marginalized and underserved populations, in keeping with Adler University's emphasis on social justice and socially responsible practice.
- Strong skills in networking, creating and maintaining relationships, problem-solving, diplomacy, stepping into sensitive conversations inviting self-reflexivity and inclusiveness.
- Experience with counseling in diverse cultural contexts would be an asset. Experience counseling and supervising in one of the prevalent languages found in the Greater Vancouver area would be an asset (e.g., Cantonese, Mandarin, Hindi, Punjabi, or Spanish).
- Experience in program development and community liaising is an asset.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Teaching, advising, and mentoring students, participation in institutional, campus, and program committees, admission efforts, advising/mentoring students, as well as the support of the program and institutional initiatives. Candidates must be willing to align with the University's mission and values which is training socially responsible practitioners, engaging communities, and advancing social justice.
Applicants should electronically submit a curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, a cover letter addressing qualifications and interests, and three professional references with contact information. A review of applications is ongoing, and we will continue this search until the position is filled.
Adler University Benefits:
Our institution provides a comprehensive benefits package for full-time staff/ faculty which includes health, dental, vision, supplemental life insurance, EAP, LTD, and an RRSP plan. Faculty have 5 weeks of vacation per year. We embrace and encourage continued education through our Tuition Reimbursement / Professional Development Benefit Program.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Adler University is committed to the principle of equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and potential employees, along with discrimination and a harassment-free workplace environment. Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
About Adler University
Adler University's faculty, staff, students, and graduates are recognized as teachers and promoters of social responsibility, are engaged in their communities, and are politically aware and active. We will strengthen our culture of social responsibility and of community service and engagement.
Life at the University will be marked by rich opportunities for service, an active pursuit of sustainability, a vigorous commitment to the city and peoples of Chicago and Vancouver, and a realization of those cities' connections with the larger world.
When inquiring or applying for positions within Adler University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Adler University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Adler University are posted, job seekers please sign up at new job openings at Adler University.