Assistant Professor of Counselor Education
Job no: 496535
SUNY Budget Title: Assistant Professor (10 month) – EDC
Salary Level/Grade: A5
Work type: Full time
Location: Brockport, NY
Department: Counselor Education
Categories: Faculty & Libraries
Founded in 1835, State University of New York (SUNY) Brockport is an exceptional regional comprehensive public university that offers high-quality undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the arts, business, education, health, humanities, social sciences, and STEM. The University's curriculum is grounded in the liberal arts and sciences and emphasizes experiential learning.
Located only a few miles from Lake Ontario in a quaint “Village on the Erie Canal,” SUNY Brockport is conveniently situated between the cities of Rochester and Buffalo — the fourth and second largest cities in New York State. Inspiring excellence through growth, engagement, and transformation is our mission.
Join the inclusive community of distinguished, dedicated, and renowned faculty who, together with talented staff and eager students, are Building a Better Brockport. Here are some of our points of distinction and achievements:
- The first African American student to graduate from Brockport, Fannie Barrier Williams, is recognized both as a visionary and one of the most prominent African American women of her generation. The Fannie Barrier Williams Scholars program was created to support and transform the lives of students from low-income families. As a permanent tribute to her incredible advocacy and legacy, the University dedicated the Fannie Barrier Williams Liberal Arts Building in 2022.
- Our AACSB-Accredited School of Business and Management focuses on student experiences like the Wade Student Managed Investment Fund to align student learning with business skill development.
- We offer the only Computer Information Systems (CIS) program in the state that is accredited by ABET.
- We are the only SUNY comprehensive institution to offer the Doctor of Nursing Practice.
- The Writers Forum has brought hundreds of writers—novelists, poets, playwrights, memoirists, screenwriters, cartoonists, and essayists from varied traditions—to the campus. Nobel laureates and Pulitzer winners were among them.
- State (e.g., Department of Environmental Conservation) and federal agencies (e.g., Environmental Protection Agency and National Science Foundation) are funding faculty research, including projects related to the Great Lakes, that engage both undergraduate and graduate students.
- We have strong educational partnerships and connections with school districts, healthcare organizations, and clinical settings throughout the region.
- The Joey Jackson Intercultural Center, named after a Brockport alum who is a prominent criminal defense attorney and CNN legal analyst, was created to provide an inclusive and supportive environment for underrepresented students, to help our faculty members connect with students outside of the classroom, and to provide students with opportunities for leadership development, celebration, and collaborations.
- We engage in cutting edge, meaningful research that will make a difference for practitioners around the world. Students display their scholarship activities during our annual Scholars Day celebration.
- Our faculty are recognized as outstanding educators who utilize the very best pedagogy that higher education has to offer. Brockport hosts three SUNY-recognized Distinguished Professors.
SUNY Brockport has a strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. We welcome individuality and encourage you to utilize your unique talents and bring your skills as we collaboratively strive to build meaningful lives and vibrant communities.
Job Summary: SUNY Brockport invites applications for a tenure track Assistant Professor position in the Department Counselor Education to begin August 23, 2024. Position has responsibility for teaching 3-3 load per semester in the Masters in Mental Health Counseling, School Counseling, College Student Affairs and Development programs, and in Certificate of Advanced Studies programs, scholarly activity, and service to the department, campus, and profession.
Credential review will begin November 1, 2023.
PhD or EdD degree in Counselor Education from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting organization (ABD with completion within 6 months of hire date will be considered).
Experience teaching graduate-level professional counseling courses.
Experience providing counseling supervision.
Demonstrated commitment to diversity through teaching, scholarship, and/or service.
Ability to work effectively with students, public, college community and external constituencies, with an appreciation for cultural and group differences.
Graduated from a CACREP-accredited doctoral program.
Experience in teaching two or more of the 8 CACREP Core areas.
Experienced in school and/or mental health counseling.
Valid professional counseling license or certification.
Experience as a professional mental health or school counselor.
Demonstrates professional involvement in professional counseling associations.
Experience supervising students in practicums or internships.
Experience with the development of curriculum.
Experience teaching in the online milue.
Knowledge of basic computer programs and information technology systems.
Published in peer-reviewed counseling journals or presented at counseling conferences.
Work Schedule: N/A
Salary and Benefits: The Minimum Salary for this position is $61,341.
This position is benefits eligible; Find out more about benefits at Careers@Brockport! This position is eligible for visa sponsorship.
Application Instructions: Visit jobs.hr.brockport.edu to complete an application including your cover letter that addresses required and preferred qualifications, resume/CV, and contact information for three professional references.
Background Investigation Statement:
All applicants are subject to a pre-employment background check.
Pre-Employment Drug Testing:
Pre-employment drug test and DOT physical may be required for positions requiring a valid Class A or B CDL driver's license with passenger endorsement.
New York State Executive Order:
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Non-Discrimination Statement/Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer:
SUNY Brockport does not discriminate. SUNY Brockport is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, or criminal conviction. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the university community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law, or treated adversely or retaliated against based upon a protected characteristic.
SUNY Brockport is committed to creating and maintaining an equitable environment that welcomes, values, and supports individuals and communities who affirm human dignity. The University provides opportunities for engagement, learning, growth, and transformation to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive institution.
SUNY Brockport provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities, veterans, or wounded warriors where appropriate. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Office of Human Resources or email your request to Tamara Gouger, AVP for Human Resources and ADA Coordinator, at email@example.com. Determinations or requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
SUNY Brockport is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. The University actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the University.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
About SUNY Brockport
SUNY Brockport is a selective, nationally recognized and accredited public institution. We are an inclusive learning community that inspires excellence through growth, engagement, and transformation.
SUNY Brockport is an inclusive learning community that inspires excellence through growth, engagement, and transformation.
Building meaningful lives and vibrant communities
Excellence • Community • Inclusion
Transformation • Engagement
The Brockport Promise
SUNY Brockport promises to engage our students each day in cultivating their capacity for intellectual, physical, and creative accomplishment.
We are a University engaged with its community. From its main Brockport campus, to the Village of Brockport, Greater Rochester, and beyond, SUNY Brockport seek ways to engage with community partners to strengthen our area and enrich lives.
SUNY Brockport is an inclusive learning community that values and celebrates the differences among us. Our Chief Diversity Officer, who is a member of the President’s senior leadership team, leads the effort to conceptualize and cultivate diversity as an institutional priority.
SUNY Brockport ensures institutional effectiveness and accountability through a variety of offices, systems, and relationships. We offer multiple sources of information available to the public that is used to make evidenced-based decisions that support fulfillment of the University Mission and its Strategic Plan.
To see additional information about our job opening(s) or to apply, please click on the “Apply Now” button at the bottom of our job postings.
Jobs at SUNY Brockport. When inquiring or applying for jobs at SUNY Brockport, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities with SUNY Brockport and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at SUNY Brockport are posted, please sign up for new job openings at SUNY Brockport.