Oakton College, a caring community of educators dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning, seeks to fill a tenure track faculty opening in Psychology beginning in Fall 2023.
Founded in 1969, Oakton is a comprehensive two-year community college offering associate's degree programs and non-credit courses in northern Cook County, Illinois. Oakton's 147-acre main campus sits in a forest preserve in Des Plaines, Illinois. A second campus in Skokie serves residents on the eastern side of the District and is home to the Art, Science, and Technology Pavilion. The College also offers continuing education classes at off-campus locations throughout the region, and many students pursue studies at home through our distance learning program. The College is undertaking a five year, $68.5 million Master Plan which included the construction of a new Science and Health Careers building on the Des Plaines campus.
Oakton is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association. The College is recognized by the Illinois Community College Board and is a member of the American Association of Community Colleges, as well as numerous professional organizations.
Oakton's 700 full- and part-time faculty members' true passion is teaching. In small classes, our faculty engage students as individuals and guide their learning experience.
Applicants must be strong communicators and effective classroom facilitators who enjoy teaching in a student-centered environment.
Candidates committed to working in a culturally competent environment are especially valued at Oakton. Cultural competence integrates and transforms knowledge about individuals and groups of people into specific standards, policies, practices, and attitudes used in appropriate cultural settings to increase the quality of services provided.
Applicants should be current and skilled in their use of evolving technologies, active in promoting critical thinking, and committed to challenging our students to be knowledgeable, ethical, and capable global citizens. Oakton is seeking enthusiastic faculty who are committed to innovation in college-level teaching and learning, and interested in non-traditional delivery of instruction. The College expects full time faculty to be professionally competent, have strong leadership qualities, participate in professional development activities, and to engage in institutional and departmental service. Computer proficiency is required. The individuals hired will be available to teach in the evening and/or on weekends.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Construction of a course syllabus, consistent with the generic course syllabus, that stipulates course objectives, content, and grading criteria.
- Preparation of course presentations and instructional materials, for lecture, and laboratory and clinical functions (as appropriate).
- Delivery of instruction, including being prepared for and meeting courses and laboratories (if appropriate) at scheduled times.
- Consultation with and evaluation of students.
- Maintenance of clear records on student performance, as well as any other factors, such as attendance involved with the grading of students.
- Compliance with departmental and institutional policies and procedures including but not limited to submission of midterm and final grades, keeping office hours, and decisions regarding instructional matters such as texts, assignments, grading standards, and adhering to provisions of the OCCFA contract.
- Participation and compliance with departmental decisions regarding instructional matters such as texts, assignments, and grading standards.
- Participation in department and/or institutional assessments of student learning.
- Participation in department and/or institutional surveys.
- Participation on appropriate standing and/or ad hoc committees within the position 's assigned department and division.
- Participation in college-wide activities, such as a college-wide committee or task force, faculty governance, accreditation studies, student activities/clubs/organizations, planning and/or implementation of college-wide professional development activities, college-related external professional meetings and activities, planning and/or implementation of college-related social or fund-raising functions, and other college-related community activities mutually agreed upon by the Dean and the faculty member.
- Compliance with institutional procedures.
Additional Qualifications or Position Requirements Unique to the Search
Extensive experience having primary or sole responsibility for teaching a full Introduction to Psychology and/or Human Development college-level course.
Training and interest in teaching in one or more of the following areas:
- Cross Cultural/Multicultural Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Human Sexuality
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Research Methods
Other types of background/experience that would be desirable
- Training, certificate or graduate coursework in pedagogy
- Experience in high-impact, critical, anti-racist, and/or feminist pedagogies
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, social justice and fostering a collaborative multicultural environment
- Evidence of commitment and institutional service and leadership
- Online teaching certificate or one year of online and/or hybrid teaching experience
This position requires availability to teach in the evening and/or on the weekends
This position requires availability to teach on both the Des Plaines and Skokie campuses
This position requires availability to teach online in whole or part
We encourage applications from candidates who reflect the increasing diversity of Oakton's student body and community, who will enhance and promote engagement with other cultures and have a demonstrated commitment to working with and as part of a multicultural faculty and diverse student body and community.
The full time faculty member's workload during the nine month academic year is 30 lecture hour equivalents (LHEs). The average teaching load is 15 LHEs in the Fall and Spring semesters.
The academic calendar consists of 169 working days; instructional days total 153 of the working days within the academic calendar. Four days are used for instruction, final student evaluations, or course culminating activities. Two days are designated for grading, and one day is associated with commencement which is assigned on a three year rotation. The remaining nine days are designated for professional development, course preparation, student orientation, assessment, advising, registration, and/or college or departmental activities.
The faculty member is expected to have a minimum of 10 regular office hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters.
The College expects full time faculty to participate in professional development activities and to engage in institutional and departmental service.
The hiring range for full time faculty is based on a 9 month, no overload contract. Additional pay is received for teaching overloads and summer assignments. The minimum salary is $52,827 and the maximum is $65,570
A comprehensive benefit package is available which includes medical, vision, and dental insurance; flexible spending; term life insurance; tuition waivers and reimbursement; retirement; paid holidays; sick days; sabbatical leave; and a four day summer work week.
Appointment to a faculty position is contingent upon approval by the College's Board of Trustees.
The anticipated start date for this position is Fall 2023.
About Oakton College
For 50 years, Oakton College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Jobs at Oakton College.
When inquiring or applying for job openings at Oakton College, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities with Oakton College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Oakton College are posted, please sign up for new job openings at Oakton College.