The Couple and Family Therapy Department at Adler University launched a Certificate in Sex Therapy in the fall of 2021. Adler University is approved as an Organizational Provider II by the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT) with an upcoming renewal due in summer 2023. The ten-credit blended hybrid curriculum is offered across the three semesters and students can start in any semester.
We are searching for a twelve-month quarter-time (.25) faculty position with teaching and administrative duties. The Certificate Manager will report to the Chair of the Couple and Family Therapy Department. Administrative duties include course scheduling (with the Department Chair), management of adjunct faculty, advisement of Certificate students, and working closely with Admissions and Marketing.
Applicants must be an AASECT Certified Sex Therapy (CST) with additional preferred qualifications as a CST Supervisor. Experience as a graduate-level instructor/faculty is also preferred as the position entails teaching responsibilities within the certificate (or the department as needed).
Excellent candidates will also be Licensed Marital/Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT). Clinicians with systemic training and experience with other clinical licenses will be considered. Remote candidates will be considered for the position.
- Master's Degree in Marriage/Couple and Family Therapy, Medical Family Therapy, Counseling, or related fields required.
- Minimum two (2) years experience as a graduate-level instructor/faculty required
- Status as an AASECT Certified Sex Therapist for at least two years is required.
- Licensed Marital/Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) or a clinical license and five years experience as a systemic therapist or status as an AASECT Certified Sex Therapist Supervisor is preferred.
Supervision (if applicable): Adjunct Faculty Instructors
- Proficient in working with computer programs and systems applications
- Able to learn and adjust to new systems readily
- Able to provide directions and assistance to adjunct faculty in the utilization of different computer applications and university systems (if needed)
- Sound command of Internet usage including social media
- Ability to consistently identify opportunities for improvement and make recommendations based on observations
- Strong demonstration of alignment with Adler's social justice mission and vision
- Strong critical thinking, problem-solving and visioning acumen
- Ability to proactively identify challenges and barriers to stated objective and employ assistance in addressing these
- Strong collaboration acumen and abilities
- Demonstration of Emotional Intelligence and professional maturity
- Proficient and functional knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Strong research acumen and abilities
- Strong communication acumen including written, oral, and listening
Essential Duties & Responsibilities: Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teaches ten (10) credits across the year;
- Reviews and updates curriculum especially across the first two cohorts and in response to AASECT (and field) requirements;
- Serves as Faculty Advisor to all CST students not already enrolled in a graduate program at Adler;
- Attends CFT faculty meetings once a month;
- Coordinates with Marketing across all three campuses and represents the CST through conference attendance;
- Encouraged to attend conferences (e.g., SSTAR, AASECT, ISSHWSH) to promote the certificate;
- Coordinates with Admissions including reviewing applications and conducting virtual interviews with applicants;
- Coordinates and attends student orientation each fall and spring;
- Manages the confirmation (and renewal) of CEUs with AASECT;
- Oversight of curriculum and coordination of curriculum review;
- Serves as replacement instructor in event of core or affiliate faculty emergencies;
- Develops resources and networks to assist graduates in finding placements and supervisors to meet the clinical training requirements of the certification;
- Supports approval processes (IBHE and HLC);
- Recruits, supports, manages, and evaluate adjunct faculty, and
- Any other curricular, planning, and administrative duties.
Universal Core Behaviors:
- Effectively expresses oneself in all oral and written communications.
- Exhibits good listening and comprehension skills.
- Keeps others informed, as well as responds, in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates match between words and actions.
- Responds with tact, diplomacy, respect and composure when dealing with others.
- Promotes the spirit and essence of the School's Vision, Mission, Values and Key Strategies through both verbal and written communication.
Teamwork and Collaboration:
- Cooperates with others toward the achievement of common goals.
- Seeks consensus and win-win solutions to problems and conflicts.
- Contributes actively and participates fully in team initiatives.
- Puts success of the team above own interests.
- Builds and maintains constructive work relationships.
Responsive to Change:
- Supports changes in the work environment.
- Displays a proactive, problem-solving approach toward work.
- Committed to life-long learning by continuously increasing skills, knowledge and effectiveness.
- Actively seeks and initiates creative and innovative solutions.
- Exercises sound, accurate and informed independent judgment when needed.
Quality-Driven and Accountable:
- Results-oriented and committed to quality through continuous process improvement.
- Eliminates ineffective activities and closes performance gaps.
- Anticipates and responds to customer needs.
- Monitors own performance, accept responsibility for actions and actively seeks feedback.
- Meets deadlines and completes projects and activities in a professional, timely manner.
- Seeks opportunities to increase productivity and/or reduce costs while maintaining the highest quality standards (fiscally responsible).
Support of Vision, Mission, Values, and Key Strategies:
- Supports and models the School's Values of social interest, compassion, justice, respect for the individual, honors diversity and difference, intellectual rigor, optimism and collaboration.
- Articulates the School's Vision, Mission, and Key Strategies in a way to educate others.
- Demonstrates active commitment to advancing the School's Vision, Mission and Key Strategies.
- Exhibits personal integrity, honesty, zeal and compassion.
- Aligns work processes to advance the School's strategic plan and key strategies.
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please submit the following with your application :
- A cover letter including a description of the candidate's alignment with Adler University's mission and values and the department's commitment to social justice, self-of-the-therapist, and experiential learning;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Proof of status as a Certified Sex Therapist (and Supervisor) with AASECT;
- Copy of clinical licensure; and
- Syllabi of graduate-level courses taught (experience in teaching sex therapy courses preferred); and
- The names, emails, and phone numbers of three professional references who have been made aware that we will be reaching out to them and can specifically speak to the candidates' ability to perform as the Certificate Manager.
About Adler University
Adler University's faculty, staff, students, and graduates are recognized as teachers and promoters of social responsibility, are engaged in their communities, and are politically aware and active. We will strengthen our culture of social responsibility and of community service and engagement.
Life at the University will be marked by rich opportunities for service, an active pursuit of sustainability, a vigorous commitment to the city and peoples of Chicago and Vancouver, and a realization of those cities' connections with the larger world.
When inquiring or applying for positions within Adler University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Adler University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Adler University are posted, job seekers please sign up at new job openings at Adler University.