Assistant or Associate Professor of Clinical or Counseling Psychology
Position Category: Faculty
Location: Thousand Oaks
Cal Lutheran is a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and McNair Institution, and we are looking for candidates with a demonstrated commitment to and success working in diverse, multi- cultural and multi-racial communities, particularly in mentoring African American, Latinx, and Native American students. Cal Lutheran encourages applicants from all faiths or none, and advocates for justice and fairness for all people. We are an accredited, private, comprehensive university that engages students in critical inquiry and dedicated to educating leaders for a global society. The Thousand Oaks campus is located midway between Santa Barbara and Los Angeles and is home to more than 2,500 undergraduate and 1,110 graduate students who come from 59 countries and represent a variety of faiths. 52% of Cal Lutheran students are from underrepresented groups, and 40% of freshmen are first generation students. Cal Lutheran Faculty are 29% people of color. The mission of the University is to educate leaders for a global society who are strong in character and judgment, confident in their identity and vocation, and committed to service and justice.
Under the direction of the Dean and Department Chair, the Assistant or Associate Professor is responsible for providing academic instruction to students for the assigned undergraduate courses. The Assistant or Associate Professor is to serve as an academic advisor to students; contribute to department and university activities; serve on faculty or university committees; engage in scholarly activities, and/or creative endeavors.
California Lutheran University invites applicants for a tenure track position as Assistant or Associate Professor of Psychology for our undergraduate program beginning in the fall of 2024.
This position exclusively serves the undergraduate program, which is separate from the graduate program. Primary responsibilities for this position include teaching the following undergraduate courses (3 per semester): Abnormal Psychology, Specialized Psychopathology courses, Psychological Assessments, Theories of Personality, Counseling-Related Capstones, and preferably also introductory courses in our department's robust Statistics and Research Methods course-sequence. Additional duties include advising students, mentoring undergraduate research students, participating in department activities and ongoing program development within the undergraduate program, serving on faculty committees, and establishing collaborative relationships within the University and the broader community.
Further information about our undergraduate psychology program can be obtained via our department webpage: https://www.callutheran.edu/college-arts-sciences/psychology/
• Primary responsibilities for this position include teaching the following undergraduate courses (3 per semester): Abnormal Psychology, Specialized Psychopathology courses, Psychological Assessments, Theories of Personality, Counseling-Related Capstones, and preferably also introductory courses in our department’s robust Statistics and Research Methods course-sequence. E
• Within that context, the expectation is to create creative assignments and activities in one-on-one and classroom instructional settings to foster hands-on, active learning in students that will develop their expertise in the subject matter. E
• Maintain an active research program that involves undergraduate research assistants and collaborators. E
• Observe and evaluate student performance in meeting course objectives and student learning outcomes through assignments, projects, discussions, and examinations; provide feedback promptly to student inquiries in class, online, or during established consultation office hours. E
• Maintain current, accurate records of course enrollment, attendance, student academic progress, course curriculum; prepare and submit grades, data, and reports related to the course and student progress promptly. E
• Provide a course syllabus to students in each class within the first week of the class, as outlined in the faculty handbook. E
• Adhere to the responsibilities related to teaching, advising, service, and scholarly, professional, and creative activities, as outlined in the faculty handbook. E
• Attend and participate on committees and in the department, division, campus, and University meetings. E
• Perform related duties as assigned. E
• Evening and weekend hours may be required. E
- Clinical or Counseling psychologist with knowledge of basic statistics and quantitative methodology.
- Current theory and practice within the subject discipline
- Principles and best practices of effective teaching
- Student learning outcomes and methods of assessment University curricula
- Community and campus resources, services, programs, and professionals available to students
- Methods of gathering, analyzing, and preparing data
- Modern computing technology
- Record keeping techniques concerning student enrollment, attendance, and progress
• Demonstrate a thorough and accurate knowledge in the subject field or discipline
• Deliver course curricula in various learning styles
• Exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, social, economic, cultural, and ethnic background of University students
• Exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the needs of students with disabilities.
• Integrate current and emerging instructional delivery technologies into the learning process to enhance teaching and the educational experience
• Maintain professional standards that protect student confidentiality
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing using tact, patience, and courtesy
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Analyze situations accurately and adopt effective courses of action
• Demonstrate commitment to professional excellence and continuous growth within subject field or discipline
• Work constructively with their colleagues and to treat faculty, staff, administrators, and students with respect and professionalism
• Evidence of sustained teaching effectiveness
• Evidence of research, scholarship or creative work
• Potential for significant service to the University
• Maintain an active research program that engages undergraduate students.
• Demonstrate outstanding commitment to working with a diverse undergraduate student population, using innovative and culturally inclusive approaches to teaching, undergraduate research mentoring, and advising.
Possession of a Ph.D. (or Psy.D.) in Clinical or Counseling Psychology from an accredited institution. ABD will be considered. Candidates must have research expertise in Clinical or Counseling Psychology.
Preference will be given to applicants whose teaching and/or research focus on diversity and intersectionality, particularly that of Latinx communities.
Licenses and Other Requirements:
Indoor classroom environment; subject to visiting a variety of classroom sites on campus.
Posting Number: Faculty000952020
Open Date: 08/01/2023
Close Date: 10/20/2023
To apply, visit https://careers.callutheran.edu/postings/11093
California Lutheran University is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment for all persons, regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by applicable law. No person shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination in any program, activity or facility of the University on the basis of these factors in a manner consistent with applicable federal and state laws, regulations, ordinances, orders and rules, and University’s policies, procedures, and processes.
Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
About California Lutheran University
Welcome to Cal Lutheran.
Founded in 1959 and recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution in 2016, California Lutheran University is home to more than 2,592 undergraduate and 1,174 graduate students who come from more than 59 countries and represent a wide variety of faiths.
Our dedicated, accomplished faculty works with small classes of students who are open-minded—about ideas, about people, and about faith—and are seeking to grow as individuals.
Both in the classroom and outside of it, everyone at Cal Lutheran is committed to helping each student pursue their passions to discover their purpose, and follow that purpose to transform their community—and the world.
The university has an enrollment of about 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students who come from across the nation and around the world from a diversity of backgrounds, cultures and faiths. As a federally recognized Hispanic-Serving Institution, Cal Lutheran is looking for candidates with a dedication to and success in working in diverse communities. The university is committed to an inclusive learning and work environment that values individual differences and respects each person’s dignity.
Cal Lutheran offers outstanding career opportunities. Employees enjoy excellent benefits that include health, dental and vision coverage; generous vacations, holidays and retirement options; and tuition assistance for staff members and their family.
When inquiring or applying for positions at California Lutheran University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at California Lutheran University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at California Lutheran University are posted, please sign up at new job openings at California Lutheran University .