Assistant or Associate – Counseling Psychology (MFT)
Position Category: Faculty
Location: Thousand Oaks
The mission of California Lutheran University is to educate leaders for a global society who are strong in character and judgment, confident in their identity and vocation, and committed to service and justice. Founded in 1959 in beautiful Ventura County, the university has an enrollment of about 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students who come from across the nation and around the world from a diversity of backgrounds, cultures and faiths. As a federally recognized Hispanic-Serving Institution, Cal Lutheran is looking for candidates with a dedication to and success in working in diverse communities. The university is committed to an inclusive learning and work environment that values individual differences and respects each person’s dignity.
The California Lutheran University Graduate School of Psychology (GSoP) invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position in our Master of Science Program in Counseling Psychology (MFT Emphasis) beginning in August 2023.
Primary responsibilities include teaching graduate courses in the MFT program. The area of specialty is open; however, the program has particular interest in applicants with a doctorate in Marital and Family Therapy or a related field, graduate teaching abilities, a clear systemic model of therapy and supervision, a research program that can involve graduate students, AAMFT Approved Supervisor status or eligibility with willingness to obtain the credential, and a California Marriage and Family Therapy license or license eligibility. Preference will be given to applicants from a COAMFTE accredited doctoral program in Marriage and Family Therapy and experience with the COAMFTE accreditation process. The successful candidate for this position must demonstrate outstanding commitment to graduate teaching, clinical training, and scholarly productivity. Candidates who have experience with department service and serving in administrative roles in academic settings are preferred.
All core faculty must be willing and able to serve in the department's rotating program director role for a minimum of 2 years. Associate level applicants should have the capacity to enter the rotating director role, for a two or three year term, beginning their second year. Assistant level applicants will be required to serve in later years. When serving as the program director, faculty are provided a stipend of two additional months of salary in addition to the typical 9-month position. The department will also consider candidates who are interested in a permanent program director position. These candidates must indicate a desire to be hired as the permanent program director in their application materials.
Candidates applying at either the assistant or associate level should demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as well as the family systems perspective. Additional duties include developing a program of research that engages graduate students, participating in ongoing program development within the MFT program, serving on faculty committees, and establishing collaborative relationships within the University and broader community. Because Cal Lutheran is designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), applicants who can demonstrate both a commitment to improving access to higher education and effective mentoring of students from underrepresented backgrounds will be particularly competitive.
The applicant will join 11 other tenure track faculty members in a School comprised of Master of Science programs in Counseling Psychology (MFT emphasis) and Clinical Psychology, an APA-accredited PsyD program in Clinical Psychology, and two large community counseling centers that provide low-fee Spanish and English clinical services (over 10,000 appointments annually). For faculty interested in research with clinical populations, the clinics provide individual, couples, family, group, and child services to community members with mild to moderate mental health issues and currently offer specialized programs in intimate partner violence, dialectical behavior therapy, and acceptance and commitment therapy. The Centers also provide practicum opportunities for MFT and PsyD students who are supervised by a Clinic Director, Assistant Director, and 8 licensed clinical supervisors. MFT students can complete required supervised hours in the Center or supplement their training with other externships in the community.
The School distinguishes itself by having small classes, a caring faculty and staff, state of the art facilities and technology, and a rigorous curriculum that is being aligned with COAMFTE standards. The MFT program is designed to train students with a focus on Marriage and Family Therapy systemic theory and application, professional standards, diversity and cultural competence, assessment and diagnostics, and intervention. The MFT program fully upholds and furthers the value of diversity as stated by the University and seeks to recruit and retain faculty, staff, and students from diverse and underrepresented groups.
| ● Provide academic instruction to students through lecture; assess and develop student communication skills and higher-order thinking skills through appropriate assignments and activities. E
● Advise and instruct students regarding programs of study, lifelong learning resources, and effective study skills; refer students to support services, programs, resources, and other professionals as appropriate. E
● Observe and evaluate student performance in meeting course objectives and student learning outcomes through assignments, projects, discussions, and examinations; provide feedback in a timely manner to student inquiries in class, online, or during established office hours. E
● Plan and organize instruction according to approved course outlines and student learning outcomes to maximize student learning in alignment with program and university mission/goals; implement the student performance objectives as listed on the official course outline of record. E ● Maintain current, accurate records of course enrollment, attendance, student academic progress, and student learning outcomes.
● Evaluate and select instructional materials such as textbooks, manuals, software, and tools in collaboration, as appropriate, with other faculty; order instructional materials according to campus bookstore procedure to ensure timely delivery. E
● When in the program director role, will oversee the program which includes, but is not limited to: implementing departmental goals, managing program activities related to budgeting, marketing, overseeing MFT adjuncts, curriculum, faculty evaluation, staffing, program review, accreditation, and enrollment. E
● Establish and maintain a program of research.
● Participate in Department, University and Professional service
● Assist with department goals and COAMFTE and diversity curriculum initiatives.
● Perform related duties as assigned. E=Essential Duties
● Candidates applying at either the Assistant or Associate level should demonstrate a commitment to the systems perspective.
Associate level applicants should have the capacity to enter the rotating chair role, for a two or three year term, beginning their initial or second year. Assistant level applicants will rotate into the role in later years.
● Demonstrate a thorough and accurate knowledge in the subject field or discipline
● Deliver course curricula in support of various learning styles
● Exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, social, economic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of students.
● Exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the needs of students with disabilities.
● Integrate current and emerging instructional delivery technologies into the learning process to enhance teaching and the educational experience
● Maintain professional standards that protect student confidentiality
● Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, using tact, patience, and courtesy
● Establish and maintain effective working relationships
● Analyze situations accurately and adopt effective courses of action
● Demonstrate commitment to professional excellence and continuous growth within subject field or discipline
Applicants must have a doctoral degree in Marital and Family Therapy (or a closely related field) from a regionally accredited institution at the time of appointment (ABD applications accepted and would be hired at the rank of Instructor).
● Completion of a COAMFTE accredited doctoral program in Marriage and Family Therapy● Demonstrating outstanding commitment to graduate teaching, clinical training, and scholarly productivity.● Acquired or in the process of acquiring AAMFT Approved Supervisor credentials.● Experience with department service, serving in administrative roles in academic settings, and experience with the COAMFTE accreditation process.
Licenses and Other Requirements:
California Marriage and Family Therapy license or license eligibility.
Indoor classroom environment; subject to visiting a variety of classroom sites on campus.
Posting Number: Faculty000642020
Number of Vacancies:
Desired Start Date: 08/21/2023
Position End Date:
Open Date: 08/22/2022
Close Date: 11/1/2022
Open Until Filled: No
Application Procedure/Special Instructions:
To apply, visit https://careers.callutheran.edu/postings/9709
California Lutheran University is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment for all persons, regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by applicable law. No person shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination in any program, activity or facility of the University on the basis of these factors in a manner consistent with applicable federal and state laws, regulations, ordinances, orders and rules, and University’s policies, procedures, and processes.
Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
About California Lutheran University
Welcome to Cal Lutheran.
Founded in 1959 and recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution in 2016, California Lutheran University is home to more than 2,592 undergraduate and 1,174 graduate students who come from more than 59 countries and represent a wide variety of faiths.
Our dedicated, accomplished faculty works with small classes of students who are open-minded—about ideas, about people, and about faith—and are seeking to grow as individuals.
Both in the classroom and outside of it, everyone at Cal Lutheran is committed to helping each student pursue their passions to discover their purpose, and follow that purpose to transform their community—and the world.
The university has an enrollment of about 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students who come from across the nation and around the world from a diversity of backgrounds, cultures and faiths. As a federally recognized Hispanic-Serving Institution, Cal Lutheran is looking for candidates with a dedication to and success in working in diverse communities. The university is committed to an inclusive learning and work environment that values individual differences and respects each person’s dignity.
Cal Lutheran offers outstanding career opportunities. Employees enjoy excellent benefits that include health, dental and vision coverage; generous vacations, holidays and retirement options; and tuition assistance for staff members and their family.
When inquiring or applying for positions at California Lutheran University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at California Lutheran University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at California Lutheran University are posted, please sign up at new job openings at California Lutheran University .